Thursday, April 30, 2009

That word

I need to say something: "I hate using the word, single."

It has, and still, brings all the other labels that come with that word. It's not even that...it's that this word is used as a definition of identity when it shouldn't be.

For me, when I was not married, or engaged, and this word was used to describe me, it hurt. I would think to myself that I am defined by so many more things. My relationship status did not define me. Yes, it resulted in specific impacts on my scheduling, etc...but it did not define me.

I hate using this word in my blogs. I cringe when I hear it in church referring to a group. I don't want to ask someone if they are. Please know that I use this in my blog as a contrast to describe the process of that part of my life changing and the overflowing impacts of that.

To those of you who have decided to define your identity by this word, we are different creatures, but I can respect that.

1 comment:

  1. Preach it!! I want to vomit whenever someone asks me, "Are you still single?" *barf* I always want to respond with, "HELL YEA, Single and LOVING LIFE. How about you?"

    ReplyDelete