Monday, May 11, 2009

Running Again



I've been picking up running, again, for about 2 months, now. It's still a battle. I want to run. I want to be in shape. I want to go run 3 miles and not try to quit before I finish. The temptation to walk crosses my mind every few minutes. I want to get faster. I want to run farther. I want to be runner. My body doesn't agree.

Why do I fight the battle each and every time, and go, and run, and want to die every time? Good question. I ask myself that everytime my heart pounds so heart I think my heads gonna explode.

For now, the motivation of turning 30 in September, a half marathon in October, and knowing I can run keeps me going. I love the feeling of breaking into the start of the run, when it's cool out, and your feet and legs aren't warmed up yet. They are starting to get stretched out and warmed up, and you push to get them there. Then, once your muscles are warm, your heart and lungs start to challenge you to slow down, but you push through it. Then, comes the part where you settle in, and think that maybe you could do this forever, at this pace, and just run across the world.

Then I hit the 2.5 mile mark and collapse. For now, this is my distance. Each week gets a little faster or further, or both. Just when I think I'm crazy, and I should quit, I have another good run, and I get the running high, and can't wait for next time.

1 comment:

  1. First, LOVE the picture. I feel like he looks so often. Second, the whole description is so familiar! Why does you body after a mile battle give you the sense that you really could run forever?? And then 5 minutes later, you'd rather be crawling? Anyway, we're running.. and I need pushing. :)

    ReplyDelete